Friday, July 8, 2011

Honey Ginger Butternut Squash with Pecans

I hope that everyone had a great 4th of July this last week! We went camping over the long weekend and all I have to say is that if you give me a holiday it is going to set me back for days! Especially if we go somewhere, but these are the glories of Summer! Camping was great fun and we made some great memories. I did however get my basket this week and was pleasantly surprised to get Butternut Squash. There are many things that you can do with Butternut Squash I had a difficult time trying to decide whether to make soup with it or to roast it. I decided that July just didn't feel soupy to me. But roasting it would make it a great side dish to your BBQ and as July is unofficially BBQ month as far as I am concerned I went with this one. So here it is and I have to say that as Butternut Squash is in season where I live in the fall, this would compliment turkey dinner perfectly!

Before we get to the ingredients list I have one disclosure. I LOVE sugar on my squash! But in honor of my Mom who insists that it should taste like squash and not candy I will give you a range of amounts on the sugar and you can decide how you like it. 

3 Lb. "Bountiful" Butternut Squash, Peeled and Diced
2 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2-4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Honey
3/4 Tsp. Ginger
Pinch of Cloves
3/4 Tsp. Salt
1/8 Tsp. Pepper

And of course my token ingredient that I forgot...Someday I will remember all of my ingredients in my first picture:) 1/4 C. Chopped Pecans

The first thing that we need to do is  get our squash peeled and diced. The best way to do this is to start by peeling it with a potato peeler.

Next you want to cut your squash in half


Once you have them cut in half take a deep breath... no it is not difficult to cut in half, but I think that it smells so good that you have to make sure to experience it. I know, I know I am such a foodie, but these are the simple pleasures of being the cook. Now it is time to gut these babies. Take a spoon and take out the innards like you would a pumpkin.

Then dice your squash into 3/4 inch pieces. Next you want to combine all of the remaining ingredients except for the pecans in a bowl. Then microwave them for 30-45 seconds just to melt the sugar and make sure that it all blends well. Don't over cook it though or it will just get hard and crusty. Then toss the mixture with the Butternut Squash to coat completely, I like to use my hands it seems to work best. Pour your squash onto a lined sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes, adding your chopped pecans the last 10 minutes so that they get toasted.

  

Helpful Hints: The way that I did my sugar is that I put 3 Tbsp, Brown Sugar into the mixture and then I sprinkled the last Tbsp. on the top before cooking it. It was perfect for me and I have to say that to me it still tasted like squash and not like candy. And one last thing be careful with the Cloves, while I love the depth of flavor that they give to this recipe, Cloves do have a very strong flavor so don't over do it. If you are not a fan of cloves feel free to omit them from the recipe.

You want them to be tender and slightly golden brown on top and caramelized. The pecans give this dish the perfect touch and turns this side show into the main act! Enjoy! 



1 comment:

Cara and Mike said...

This looks SO SO good ... mmmm... Thanks for posting this!