Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blackberry Scones

This week I have to say that I really had a difficult time narrowing the possibilities down to just one recipe. In the end though these fantastic little treats won. They are flaky and delicious and an easy way to bring a fancy touch to your breakfast or brunch.



Blackberry Scones



Again the ingredients list really isn't too complex which is always a bonus! Here is what you will need.





2 C. Flour


1/4 Plus 1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar


1 1/2 Tbsp. Baking Powder


3/4 Tsp Salt


3/4 C. Buttermilk


2 eggs


6 Tbsp. Cold Unsalted Butter


1 1/2 Pints Blackberries


Helpful Hints: Just three little hints about this list of ingredients before we get started. First the buttermilk, you can use the old standby substitution of milk and vinegar but I just think that it tastes better when you use the real thing. Oh and while some of you may think that this is gross I keep my buttermilk long after it's due date...It's acidity levels are so high that it really takes much longer to go bad and I have to say that I think that in baking it actually works better after the due date. It makes things more moist. So it is really a great thing to just have on hand if you plan on baking much. Second you will see that I have used Unsalted Butter, again you could use regular butter and a bit less salt BUT... you will Not get the same flavor! The unsalted butter gives them a more elegant flavor and texture. And one very last very important hint! Like other pastries you want your ingredients to be very cold. This is what sets great pastries and not so great pastries apart. Your ingredients must be cold!


Bring on the berries! I recently heard of a fantastic trick to adding berries to things like scones. You wash them and in the case of my recipe add 1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar to them stir them up and put them into the freezer for about 1/2 hour. This helps to maintain the structure of the berries when you are mixing them in. I am not suggesting however that you uses frozen berries. Fresh is always better! Aren't my frosty berries beautiful?
Alright let's really get cooken' now! The first thing that you want to do is mix all of your dry ingredients (except the 1 1/2 Tbsp. of sugar that you added to your berries.) Then you want to cut up your butter into about 1/2 inch cubes handling them as little as possible, you want to keep the butter cold this is what makes them flaky. Then with a pastry blender, potato masher or even a food processor you want to cut in the butter until it looks like this, kind of like a course meal.


Next make a well in the center of your mixture. Then beat together your buttermilk and eggs. Pour your milk mixture into your well and starting from the middle mix the ingredients until just combined. Over mixing will cause the gluten to build up in the dough and will ruin the texture of the scones.



Once you have it mixed pull out your berries and gently fold them into the dough. It will be a very stick dough. You then want to turn your dough out onto a generously floured counter and then form your dough into a log about 3 inches wide and 15 inches long. Then cut about ever 2 1/2 inches like so.



Then go back through and cut them into triangles. In this picture you can also see my cool chopper thing. I am sure that it has a more technical name but as far as I am concerned it is my "cool chopper thing." You can get them at just about any kitchen store and I highly recommend them. They make so many things so much easier!



Then place them on parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top.



Then place them on a cooling rack and get started on your glaze.



This next story is of a lemon and an orange and a dual! I could not make up my mind as to what kind of a glaze I wanted for these babies. So I will let you dual this one out for yourself the glaze will work for either one.


1 C. Powdered Sugar


2 Tbsp. Fresh Orange/ Lemon Juice


1 Tsp. Orange/Lemon Zest


Whisk together the above ingredients in a bowl and drizzle over the tops of slightly cooled scones and enjoy!


One last tip, Raspberries are amazing in this recipe also!
***Disclaimer, while I use my buttermilk past its due date it is true that using things past the due date can make you sick so use your best judgement on this one!***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what I did wrong, but the 2 times I made this I follwed the recipe to a T and both times it comes out purple goo. Maybe you have some pointers?