Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

Hello again! Let me just start by saying that I am sorry for my 2 week hiatus. This year because of my sweet baby Kate my family took separate vacations. We are blessed to go to Lake Powell every year with my husbands family, but this year I just didn't think that it would be a very pleasant trip with my 9 month old. So I packed my boys up and shipped them to Lake Powell while I went to St. George with my family. Knowing that I would be missing one week of Bountiful Bliss, I made two recipes to make up for it. I wrote the recipes, cooked them, took pictures of them and was very excited to blog about them in the peacefulness of a quiet condo with a view in sunny St. George. But as I sat down ready to get down to business I realized that I had sent my good camera with with all of my Bountiful Bliss pictures off to Lake Powell with the boys. Needless to say my hands were tied and I was unable to post my two new recipes. But what I can do is show you the beautiful view from the deck of the condo, isn't it just beautiful?





Well after a relaxing week spending time with my family, having some good old girly time with my Mom and Kate and basking in the sun. I am now back and back in business and can I just say that this weeks basket was amazing! I have loved everything in it, but this week I thought that I would feature the Cauliflower and Broccoli. I have to admit that until I had Cauliflower made this way I was not really a huge fan. I considered it to be broccoli's ugly step-sister, but dressed up the right way it has become the Belle of the Ball.



Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
As you can see the ingredients for this recipe are very simple. This dish gets most of it's flavor from roasting the veggies. Roasting your veggies condenses the flavors and brings out others that you never thought you would taste in them.





1 Head Cauliflower


1 Head Broccoli


1/4-1/2 Tsp. Pepper


3/4-1 Tsp. Kosher Salt


1 Tsp. Fresh Thyme


2 Tbsp. Olive Oil


Turn your oven on to 425 degrees. Then Chop your broccoli and cauliflower into one inch florets. You then want to put them into a pot and bring them to a boil for 3-5 minutes depending on how tender you like them. Remember though that you will still be roasting them so don't over cook them.


Drain them and set them aside to cool a bit. Once they are cool enough to touch pour them out onto a baking sheet. Then drizzle the olive oil over them and sprinkle on the remaining ingredients. Using your hands toss them all together to coat your veggies.
Helpful Hints: You will see that I did not give exact measurements for the Salt and Pepper. This is because as in most things in nature no two heads of broccoli or cauliflower are the same. So you will have to use your judgment on that one. In the batch that I made I made I used 1 Tsp. Salt and 1/2 Tsp. Pepper and it was perfect! One last helpful hint if you don't have fresh thyme then you can use 1/2 Tsp. Dry Thyme in it's place.



Place them into the oven for 30-35 minutes or until they are slightly browned.
Here is a close up so that you can see what I am talking about. Oooo don't they just make your mouth water? When my 6 1/2 year old came in to tell me that he was hungry (which he is always:) he took one look at what I was making and said mmm... I love those with a a big smile on his face, need I say more? I hope that you all love this dish as much as we do.



No comments: