Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bountiful Bliss

In this weeks edition of Bountiful Bliss I have not 1 thing from our baskets this week but 4, count them 4! Not to mention that I used 2 more that I had left over from last weeks basket! A Bountiful Bliss masterpiece that is what we have here. Now before we get into the cooking I thought that I would pass on my feelings on salads, or more importantly salad toppings. Salad toppings are like ice cream toppings. Everyone likes there's just the way that they like there's. For example hot fudge, I like a lot of it, salad dressing the same. I also love the perfect ratio of brownie to ice cream and sliced bananas (to make it healthy of course:) whipped cream and topped off with a generous sprinkling of toasted pecans and what you have is perfection. But as we all know that perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I digress, we are after all making a salad and not a Brownie Sunday. My point is that as you read through this recipe and make it on your own keep in mind that while I give estimates on the amount of toppings you will need in the end you will be able to create your own perfect salad, just the way that you like it.


Citrus Grilled Chicken Salad





Time to get cooken! But as I start I do have to mention that this recipe is Mom tested and Dylan approved. Dylan is my 4 year old and he ate every last bite of it saying mmmm... Mommy this is so good! There are few things better to a Mommy's ears then when her kids are eating there fruits and veggies and totally enjoying them! To start we make the dressing and here's your list.




1/2 C. "Bountiful Fresh Squeezed Grapefruit Juice"(2 Lg. Grapefruit)


1/4 C. "Bountiful Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice"


1 Tbsp. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice


1 Tbsp. "Bountiful Orange Zest"


1/4 C. Canola Oil


1/4 C. Honey


*1/2- 1 Tbsp. Diced Shallot


1 1/2 Tsp. Dijon Mustard


1/4 Tsp. Kosher Salt


1/8 Tsp Pepper

Some how this guy was M.I.A. for our photo shoot, so he got a solo shot, because he adds the fresh punch that this recipe needs to knock this amazing dressing out of the park!


Because we are going to be using the grapefruit for not only it's juice but for it's tasty, tart flesh as well you will need to start by undressing your grapefruit as shown. I have chopped the bottom off to make it stable and then I have sliced down the edges.



This is the naked truth behind the grapefruit and exactly the way that yours should look when you are done with it.


Next you want to take the grapefruit and over a bowl slice out your grapefruit wedges. Reserve them for later.


Then you want to take what is left of your grapefruit and squeeze the juice out of it as show. And no I did not get in a cat fight, just in a fight with a raspberry bush. Although you might be thinking that the raspberry bush won, I am pleased to say that I am actually the one that triumphed and won the lost ball.


Once you have your grapefruit juice, zest your orange and juice. Add all of the ingredients to a mini food processor or a blender and pulse until smooth and well combined. You will note the * next to the shallot. This is because shallots like there onion sisters can be very strong at times depending on the shallot, so start with 1/2 Tbsp. and when you have mixed your dressing, taste it. If you think that you would like more then add it and pulse again until smooth.


Now that we have the dressing done it is time to get started on the salad.




2-3 Grilled Chicken Breasts



*Heather's Seasoning Salt



2 "Bountiful Grapefruits Wedged"



1-2 C. Chunked Fresh "Bountiful Pineapple"



1/2 Lb. Sliced "Bountiful Strawberries"



*1 "Bunch Bountiful Spinach"



*1 "Head Bountiful Iceberg Lettuce"



*1 Head Dark Leafy Romain



1/2 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Tarragon



1/2 C. Sliced Almonds




Start by grilling your chicken breasts seasoned with Heather's Seasoning Salt. *Note: To get the recipe for my seasoning salt see my Stuffed Mirlitons edition of Bountiful Bliss. Also feel free just to use any mixed greens in this salad or even just baby spinach would be good. I just used what I received in my basket and what I had on hand. But pre-washed mixed greens would definitely speed this dinner up. If however you are using what I used, wash and chop your greens well. This is best done is in a salad spinner if you have one, if not I highly recommend one. Next slice and dice all of your fruits and grilled chicken and set aside. Then get started on your tarragon. If you are not familiar with this wonderful herb it has a slight anise flavor and adds the perfect touch to this salad. The best way to get the leaves off is to strip them off as shown. Then slice them into 1/2 inch pieces.


Now we assemble, and this like adding your favorite ice cream toppings is the best part. Once assembled dive in! I hope that your body will thank you after your done eating this delicious, fresh salad as much as mine did.


2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I can't wait for my next basket. My fridge is super empty after being out of town last weekend and missing out on the bountiful bliss.
I am totally going to try this salad, thanks for sharing!

autumn said...

This looks so good! I haven't done bountiful baskests in a while, because I'm always I'll get to sleep in on Saturday morning. I'll have to go back to it. Anyway, looks delicious and I'm going to get me a salad spinner next time I'm out and about.